Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Where are we now in web design?

Is it art or is it supposed to be functional? Or both (art-deco)? This article comes from the BBC in 2004 and presents the point of view of Jakob Nielsen on what makes good design. I wonder if there is a generational problem with design - what I call usable and thus good design is based on my generation's experience with text whereas younger people can deal with all manner of flashing tricks and complex imagery. Is simple best as Nielsen thinks? There are links to other articles on web design.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4061093.stm

1 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Susannah said...

I think web design standards such as Nielson proposes are pretty valid. I think some of the graphic heavy/ cluttered sites get used because users are motivated to achieve an outcome such as download music/pictures etc despite not because of how "active" the graphics are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home